- One Banana
- A fork or masher
- Serving bowl
In our last article, we talked about how to make an apple puree and some precautionary measures, while making/serving the same. In this writing, we will be telling you about banana puree. Again, before you start with banana puree, make sure your baby is ready for solids i.e. is he is older than 6 months. As a rule of thumb, you are not supposed to give him anything, but breastmilk/formula milk for the first six months.
Interesting Facts About Bananas
- Bananas can be one among the other best fruits that can be included in the diet of children among the first foods.
- Doctors recommend bananas as babies’ first fruit because little ones are enthusiastic about taste.
- Bananas are a perfect source of nutrition and energy.
- Bananas are a good source of fiber, potassium, vitamin C, B6, and beta-carotene, as well as minerals such as iron.
- Bananas contain fiber, they can improve digestion and water absorption. Hence, no cases of constipation.
- Potassium neutralizes the level of sodium that may be present in your child’s diet and therefore makes the baby’s bones much stronger.
- Bananas can help in life-threating medical conditions like diarrhea.
- Unlike many other foods, which contain higher amounts of amino acids, bananas contain simple amino acids that are largely digestible. Hence, no risk of food allergies.
- Vitamin A in bananas protects the retina from the disease.
- Bananas contain potassium, calcium, magnesium phosphorus, sulfur, iron, and copper. In case you don’t know, all these are essential nutrients needed during the first months of child development.
Instructions for Making Banana Puree
1Take a ripe banana, firm to the touch
2Clean the banana peel
3Slice the banana into as small pieces as you can
4Mash the banana pieces
Once done, mash these pieces. Bananas are soft, hence you don’t need any extra pressure or a blender to mash it. You can do this with a fork. Also, unlike apple puree, you don’t need to bake/boil bananas. The texture of bananas is usually very soft and you can easily mash them. Keep mashing it until it becomes a puree. Make sure, there are no lumps in the puree because lumps can cause choking hazards.
5 Banana puree is ready
Once the puree is ready, you can serve it with a baby spoon.
- As you progress further with the diversification, you can mix bananas with cereals, kiwi, peaches, pears, sweet potatoes, and yogurt.
- Do not forget the rule of 4 days before adding anything into this puree or trying new food. Allow your baby to settle down with the given ingredients.
- Banana puree should always be prepared fresh because after half an hour it oxidizes and loses its nutritional value and texture.
- Be very careful that banana puree must be consumed immediately after preparation, because it will soon oxidize and lose its nutritional properties.
Do you have any suggestions or you want us to cover any specific food puree, please hesitate not to mention? We will be more than happy to come up with a recipe that our readers want to learn about.