Bed wetting is a very common problem, especially among toddlers. Apart from the signs of frustration and anger, what else do you expect from those parents who have to deal with wet beds every second morning?
But do you know that this reaction of yours is only going to increase your troubles? Before reacting, you must understand that your child is helpless here. He is not doing it intentionally or because of laziness, but there are many uncontrollable reasons behind this, such as a small or undeveloped bladder, excessive urine production, urinary tract infection, stress, chronic constipation, or hormonal imbalance, etc.
In this article, I will be telling you about the reasons behind bed wetting and a few experimented solutions.
Reasons to urinate on a child's bed
- The child has deep sleep and is not awakened by the filled bladder signal.
- The baby has not yet developed full bladder control and the ability to retain urine (communication between the brain and the bladder may take some time to get tightened.).
- Excessive urine formed overnight.
- The child may have constipation, and the intestines may exert pressure on the bladder.
- Stressful situations or family changes such as a newborn, a new member of the house, divorce, moving to another home, other moral overloads in children
- The family history of this problem in the family i.e. in a parent or both parents. According to experts, if one of the parents suffered from this problem, then the child has a 45% chance of suffering from this problem and chances rise up to 75% if both parents were enuresis.
- Drinking excessive beverages like carbonated beverages, caffeine, citrus juices or plenty of water before bedtime.
- Insufficiently developed urinary bladder.
How can you help your child overcome the problem of bed wetting
- Cinnamon is one of the simplest and best home remedies to cure this problem. This spice is believed to keep the body warm. Then give the child a piece of cinnamon stick to chew. This will definitely improve the situation.
- The gooseberry also is known as Amla is a very good solution for bed wetting. Make a paste of amla and mix it with a pinch of black pepper. Once done, give this paste to the child.
- If you can, then massage your baby’s lower abdominal gently for a few minutes.
- Include cranberry juice in the diet, which is good for the bladder and urinary tract.
- Although, before the bed, you must refrain yourself from giving fluids, yet you can rely on the fresh blueberry juice. However, you must serve this an hour before bed.
- You can try raisins and nuts (as breakfast) as a solution to bed wetting.
- If your child is older enough, you can encourage him to perform muscle-strengthening exercises that involve tightening the pelvic muscles. This exercise must be repeated 10 times, three times a day.
- Encourage the child to withhold the need to go to the toilet for some time.
- Avoid discussing the problem in the presence of many.
- Avoid blaming your kid for bed wetting. You must understand that he is already anxious, embarrassed and ashamed of the situation.
If your baby is under 6 years old, you do not have to worry. But if the child is more than 6 years old then you should definitely get a good doctor, because, after this age, bed wetting is not normal.
Have you ever faced this problem? How did you help your child overcome this problem? Please share your experience with our readers about of bed wetting.